Re: A couple of comments

Scott Luebking wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a few comments.

Hi Scott,

Most of your comments are very good ideas for the Techniques
document and I will integrate them there (and I've snipped
them out of my comments below).

> Check points:
>
> 4.10 Allow the user to start, stop, pause, and rewind video.
> 4.13 Allow the user to start, stop, pause, and rewind audio.
>
>     These two checkpoints should have incremental forward and back up.
>     Media players of different types often have a slide bar which
>     can be hard for blind users or mobility impaired people to use.
>     Buttons for incremental back up and forward are easier to use.
>     The incremental back up is especially useful for those situations
>     where the sound is momentarily not understandable, e.g.  truck
>     passing by, announcement over a speaker phone.

Added as issue 135
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#135

> 4.14 Allow the user to control synthesized speech playback rate.
>
>     Incremental back up might be useful here also.

Also added in issue 135

> Techniques:
>
> 2.1
>
>     User interface issues
>
>     Another user interface issue is making intelligent decisions
>     concerning rendering and layout based not only on structure
>     of content, but also on the subject matter / information in the
>     content.

How is this done?

> GENERAL COMMENTS
>
> I think there should be a strong statement at the beginning of document
> about the need to have disabled people in the process of designing
> and testing the software.  It probably should say that the guidelines can
> help avoid pitfalls, but it is quite possible to follow the guidelines
> and still end up with an inaccessible user agent.

That's a good idea, although I'm not sure where in the beginning
of the document this would go.

We have a section entitled "Testing UA operation with platform
standards" in the Techniques document and this should be emphasized
there.

Thanks again Scott,

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814