Re: UA Guideline review, rev. 1

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:52:56 -0500
To: "earl.johnson" <Earl.Johnson@eng.sun.com>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Ian Jacobs wrote:

I finally hit the send button too soon! And so near the
end! Oh well, the rest of my comments are here.

> > Checkpoint 10.5 - How about rewording to something like "Avoid default
> > input configurations that conflict with operating system navigation,
> > control, and access conventions."

I like the proposed change since it's more precise. Does it
exclude any important functionalities?

Refer to issue 130
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#130

> >    1. The access addition pertains to things like using 5 taps of the
> >       shift key to do something other than invoke StickyKeys.
> >
> >    2. The Techniques document should include a mention of the StickyKey,
> >       etc. keyboard invocation key sequences also since most desktop
> >       platforms provide them these days.

Refer to Appendix 4 in 21 November (latest to date) Techniques [6]

[6] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-TECHS/#os-accessibility

> > Checkpoint 10.8

Current text: "Allow the user to configure the graphical arrangement of
user interface controls."

> > - Does this mean reconfigure where components in the
> > content display and feature control parts of the UA are?

Yes.
> >    1. This highlights the general difficulty I have with this
> >       document - it's not clear when it's talking about the content
> >       part and when it's talking about the rest of the UI part. The
> >       Techniques document does happen to add partial clarity (it's the
> >       feature control part) in this case but the guidelines be clear so
> >       they shouldn't have to. Additionally, it's not clear if this
> >       means the user should be able to control the actual component
> >       layout of the UA.

Proposed change:

  "Allow the user to configure the graphical arrangement of
   user agent user interface controls."

Refer to issue 131
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#131

Thanks Earl!

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814