Re: UA Guideline review, rev. 1

Lakespur Roca wrote:

Hi Lake,

I'm glad to hear you're reviewing the document (and that opinions
seem to be converging). If you (or others) feel that a different
Guideline structure is required based on developer mindset, please
submit a list of Guidelines.

The current Guidelines have been chosen based on accessibility theme,
not developer profile ("I develop the UI, she develops the API," etc.).

Looking forward to more comments,

 - Ian

> Your Point C was wonderful. I have been going over the document but I really have
> to jump back and forth all over the place to understand A. What component things
> refer to ( the UI or the technology used or other), B. If the item refers to a
> reader like Jaws, A player like Spinner or a browser like IE. And then I have to
> go to the techniques to figure out what they really mean. Sounds a bit rough on a
> developer who just wants to do the right thing for the product. WE are requiring
> them to do extra work.
>
> I would like to suggest a reorganization or allowing the developer to just
> address those parts of the document they need rather than requiring them to wade
> through every thing.  I know that you could just make a supplement specific to
> those areas but do you really think in every day development that any of the
> implimenters want to read this entire document?
>
> For example. If I were developing a UI for a browser I don't need the information
> on the back end technology (My buddy down the hall working on the back end needs
> that) Additionally I don't need any thing that applies to Speech renderers only.
>
> Technical writing techniques for business are different from those in academia.
> They are based on the knowledge that most people are under a dead line and will
> read the minimal necessary to get the job done. They don't go back and
> reinterpret. If they misunderstand the first time you don't get a second chance.
> One of the principles of technical writing we should employ here is front

While I agree mostly with that, some context is required: what are the
guidelines? What is conformance?

I think some people will balk if you throw the checkpoints at them
without some warmup.

>  This
> is not like an abstract in that it gives the conclusions not an out line of  the
> topic. Another is "talk to you audience". I hope in this case it is developers
> since they are the ones who will have to implement it. And let me tell you if you
> don't already know they may work 80+ hours a week and don't have time, interest,
> or attention span for verbose or unclear specifications. (Not that the entire
> document is verbose or unclear.)

This is very good feedback. Don't hesitate to suggest what can be
slashed.

> It would be best to state a specification in a clear concise manner and give a
> 90% example, note or organize what component(s), and type of agent this refers to
> then link to a detailed explanation and detailed examples (pictures would be nice
> as well for those items that refer to visual interfaces).

Clear: yes
Concise: yes
Pictures: we are starting to have some in the techniques document
General with link to more specific: that's exactly what the
guidelines/techniques
       split is supposed to accomplish.

> Still wadding through...

Good luck!

 - Ian

> [...]
> >       already covered under separate guidelines.
> >
> > B. General guideline comment: What exactly does input configuration mean?
> >    Perhaps this should be defined in the guideline's descriptive
> >    paragraph so developers are better able to translate it's meaning
> >    into the design of their UA.
> >
> > Checkpoint 10.3 - I have a problem with this checkpoint because it
> > really covers 2 things - what the UA should provide and what it should
> > enable - but it doesn't present it that way. Single-key capabilities,
> > for example, are directly achievable by a UA however single voice
> > command is only possible if the UA provides it's own speech recognition
> > engine that the user can configure. Staying with the speech recognition
> > example, it may very well be a service provided by the platform which
> > the UA knows nothing about (and shouldn't have to). This needs to be
> > made clearer in the checkpoint as does what the developer needs to do
> > to meet it (they can do single-key but they can only be expected to
> > provide programmatic support that lets any input device control it).
> >    1. What is the difference between this one and checkpoint 1.3?
> >
> >    2. If the plan is still to keep this checkpoint basically as it
> >       stands then how about:
> >         a. Move the second sentence should be moved into the
> >            checkpoint's descriptive paragraph because the main point is
> >            the change and control part.
> >
> >         b. Reword the checkpoint to something like "Allow the user to
> >            change and control how they interact with the user agent."
> >
> > Checkpoint 10.4 - What's this checkpoint saying? It's descriptive
> > paragraph doesn't add enough clariuty for me. The example is mnemonics
> > oriented but what should happen if, for example, speech input is used?
> > Confounding this, input configuration suggests to me the method the
> > user employs to do input but the example at least is more guideline #8
> > or #9 oriented.
> >
> > Checkpoint 10.5 - How about rewording to something like "Avoid default
> > input configurations that conflict with operating system navigation,
> > control, and access conventions."
> >    1. The access addition pertains to things like using 5 taps of the
> >       shift key to do something other than invoke StickyKeys.
> >
> >    2. The Techniques document should include a mention of the StickyKey,
> >       etc. keyboard invocation key sequences also since most desktop
> >       platforms provide them these days.
> >
> > Checkpoint 10.8 - Does this mean reconfigure where components in the
> > content display and feature control parts of the UA are?
> >    1. This highlights the general difficulty I have with this
> >       document - it's not clear when it's talking about the content
> >       part and when it's talking about the rest of the UI part. The
> >       Techniques document does happen to add partial clarity (it's the
> >       feature control part) in this case but the guidelines be clear so
> >       they shouldn't have to. Additionally, it's not clear if this
> >       means the user should be able to control the actual component

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814