Re: Issues: Part 3 - #44 and #45 - Exemption

Eric,
The issue of conformance of assistive technologies has been addressed by
the group many times.  The current consensus is that the guidelines are
primarily designed for mainstream technologies.  An assistive technology
can still comply with the guidelines if they satisfy the checkpoints.
Essentially the guidelines make no distinction between technologies,
individual developers can decide if they want to comply.

URL to group consensus:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0447.html

Jon

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group