Re: netscape keybindings section

"Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:

> aloha, y'all!
>
> it still really bothers me that there is still no mention of the lack of
> keyboard accessibility (including the inability to close NetHelp via the
> standard Windows95 keybinding for that action) in the Netscape Navigator
> Keyboard Shortcuts section of the Techniques document...

Hi Gregory,

I'm not sure what action to take based on your comment.

1) Do you mean that Netscape should be told that their UA is
not accessible through the keyboard?

2) Do you mean that inclusion of the NN binding table suggests
that NN is accessible but it's not?

3) Do you mean that we should say explicitly in the Techniques
Document that NN is not accessible?

I think one is a good idea. Two is a possibility, but I don't
think necessary. Three I don't agree with.

If there is an action item to figure out about keyboard access
to the help system, I'm unaware of it since it's not indicated in
the minutes of [1] as an action item.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0331.html

> http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-USERAGENT-TECHS/tech-document-default-input
>
> please refer to my posts on this topic, archived at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0231.html
> and http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0232.html
>
> i understood, on the basis of jon's post, archived at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0237.html
> that my comments were to be rolled into the Navigator Keyboard Shortcuts
> section, and that others would investigate keyboard support for NetHelp
> under Unix and on the Mac, but so far, there has (apparently) been no such
> action taken...

I only understand Jon's comment "we need to add functions related to
help" as a confirmation of the issue.

What are proposing to add to the techniques?

 - Ian

> the lack of keyboard support, labels for graphics, and the inability to
> close the NetHelp window from the keyboard is a major problem with the help
> system that comes bundled with Navigator, and its current design and lack
> of functionality violates several checkpoints, and it should be documented
> as such...
>
> please note that this is not an attack on Netscape, but an attempt to
> illustrate the fact that many applications which feature robust keyboard
> support for the application's UI, fail to provide similar support for the
> help system...

> Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
>    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
>         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814