Re: Keyboard support for user agent functionalities for Netscape products for Windows, UNIX and Macintosh

aloha, jon!

one thing that wasn't addressed in keren's otherwise excellent report was
keyboard accessibility of the NetHelp (Netscape Help) system...

i'm using Navigator 4.08, and i can't actually get to the links contained
within help pages using the keyboard (at least not by using the TAB key) -- i
can, however, move through the items listed in the "Content Frame" (as JFW
announced the frame), but can only activate them by routing the JAWS cursor to
the PC cursor and double-clicking on the link using JFW's left mouse emulation
key (pressing ENTER does nothing, as far as i can tell)

sometimes, when cycling through the "Content Frame" using the TAB key, i am
taken from the last link in the "Content Frame" to the first graphical link in
the "Header Frame", in which there are several unlabeled graphics, but
sometimes, i just cycle back through the "Contents Frame"

as for the help itself, i have to move to that area of the screen with the JAWS
(speech) cursor, and review the contents of the help file line by line, as JFW
cannot read the contents of the help file using the standard
read-to-end-of-document command...

when the report stabilizes, would it be possible to generate a non-table-ized
(linear) version?  if this is too much to ask your student, i would gladly
volunteer to transform the finalized table to a linearized list -- something
which a great many people would find quite useful...

gregory.

At 01:59 PM 11/2/99 -0600, Jon wrote:
>Keren Moses, a graduate assistant here at UIUC, put together an initial
>table of important keyboard functionalities for Netscape navigator for
>Windows, UNIX and the Macintosh products.  I would like to continue to
>develop this resource for use by Lakespur and the techniques document.
>Please review and comment on the accuracy of the information and other
>important keyboard support that we would recommend to Lakespur and can use
>in the UA techniques document.
>
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/netscape-keyboard.html
>
>One important issues is that in the UNIX and Macintosh versions, Keren only
>observed that the TAB key moved the focus between text edit boxes, no other
>active elements could be accessed via the keyboard.
>
>Thanks,
>Jon
He that lives on Hope, dies farting
     -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
   WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
        <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>