Re: MINUTES(edited): W3C WAI User Agent Telecon 22 September 1999

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:34:44 -0400
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Jon Gunderson wrote:

> 5) Issue #80 Make audio available as text.
>
> http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#80
>
> MR: In rationale of Guideline 1, I thought an additional example on output
> device independence. Example would meet needs of deaf users and output device
> independence. Take text from [3]:
>
> "And any output provided in audio should also be available in text since
> most alternative output mechanisms rely on the presence of system-drawn
> text on the
> screen."

>AG: Also add cross-reference to show sounds in techniques document.

>Resolved: ok to add text to introduction

Hi,

I looked back at this text from [3] and I'm not sure I understand.
Why does it belong in the section on device independence? Is this
about user agents *generating* text from audio? Or about ensuring
that author-supplied text is available?

Or does "audio" mean "speech"?

Before adding to the document, I need some clarification.

Thank you,

 - Ian

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0083.html