Re: Section 8.4 of UA Guidelines

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:53:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
cc: schwer@us.ibm.com, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Renderable content is content which is intended to be read by people, whether
or not that content will be rendered in a default presentation. For example,
in a cascade of object elements in html each of the objects referred to may
be renderable (subject to the limitations of the user agent and any dependent
technology) as well as the content of the innermost object. however the width
and height of objects is not renderable content, but machine-specific
presentation hints.

Charles McCN

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > I think there should be some slight rewording:
  >
  > 8.5 allow the user to search for renderable content

  I don't agree. What's renderable? Text in comments? Text
  hidden by style sheets? Attribute values - if so which
  ones in XML?

  My browser doesn't let me search for what I don't know is there.
  A browser could offer another search mechanism for say, attributes
  alone that aren't rendered, but we opted not to include
  attribute-specific search checkpoints.