Re: Section 8.4 of UA Guidelines

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I think there should be some slight rewording:
>
> 8.5 allow the user to search for renderable content

I don't agree. What's renderable? Text in comments? Text
hidden by style sheets? Attribute values - if so which
ones in XML?

My browser doesn't let me search for what I don't know is there.
A browser could offer another search mechanism for say, attributes
alone that aren't rendered, but we opted not to include
attribute-specific search checkpoints.

> and I am not sure if it is a P1 or not so lone as the ability to find it
> manually by reading the document is already provided elsewhere.

I think according to the definition of Priority 1, this one
doesn't qualify. Information is available, even if it's not convenient.
So in that sense it's priority 2.

> 8.4 Allow the user to navigate among only the active elements in the document

I see your point, although I would propose "just among" instead.

 - Ian

> If it is already possible to navigate each element individually, and know
> what type of element it is (or at least whether it is an active type of
> element) then I think this is a P2 requirement. It seems to be well
> established that it is a P2 requirement for blind users and for people with
> limited mobility (which could go into a user impact matrix)

> Charles McCN
>
> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>
>   schwer@us.ibm.com wrote:
>   >
>   > Sections 8.4 and 8.5 should be a priority 1 requirement.
>
>   Just to quote them from the 9 August draft [1]:
>
>   8.4 Allow the user to navigate among all active elements
>       in the document. [Priority 2]
>
>   8.5 Allow the user to search for rendered text content,
>       including alternative text content. [Priority 2]
>
>   [1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19990809
>
>   --
>   Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>   Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
>

> --Charles McCathieNevile            mailto:charles@w3.org
> phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://www.w3.org/People/Charles
> W3C Web Accessibility Initiative    http://www.w3.org/WAI
> MIT/LCS  -  545 Technology sq., Cambridge MA, 02139,  USA

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814