Re: Discussion of DOM with Glen Gorden of Henter-Joyce

Charles Oppermann wrote:
> <<
> JRG 3. Do you see as one of the main weaknesses of the current DOM the lack
> of visual display positional rendering information?
>
> GG: Yes!
> >>

> This is not an issue with Active Accessibility and is also available in the
> Dynamic HTML object model.  Hopefully the DOM WG will adopt it.

Please recall that DOM 1 does not include access to style information.
That is being addressed by the DOM Working Group for DOM Level 2.
For reference, please consult the DOM Level 2 Working Draft [1]
and in particular the section on the CSS object model. Please
note that this is only a Working Draft.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-DOM-Level-2/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-DOM-Level-2/css.html

> <<
> JRG 4. Are there other features that would make DOM useful for your
> purposes?
>
> GG: None come immediately to mind.
> >>

> A feature that Glen's product doesn't currently need, but others might find
> useful is the ability to get a element based on a X/Y coordinate.  Used for
> hit testing.  This is vital for screen readers that use the content of the
> DOM - not just manipulate it for a different visual display.

We should ensure that this is recommended to the DOM Working Group
as a feature useful for accessibility.

Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814
http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs