Re: Fwd: Table Models

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:35:36 +0100
To: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@ACM.org>
cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

I think this material is more suitable for the PF list than for UA,
even if it's just FYI.

> In a simple, small table, the user can remember which TH apply to which TD.
> As the number of rows and/or columns becomes more than 4 or 5, the user may
> want help identifying the TH that apply to the TD.
>
> To provide that help, the data cells TDs have IDREFs to the ordered list
> of TH IDs by which those remote identifying cells can be found and that
> identification presented, as part of the implicit context of the data cells.

I think this analysis is missing the role of the UA in the middle.

In any table, the user may want help to navigate, this help is
normally provided by the UA, but if the table is too complex (and the
number of column/row is irrelevant as far as the UA is concerned),
then the UA needs help from the author, using TD/TH binding, etc.