Re: ToolTips

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 16:14:51 -0400 (EDT)
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
cc: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, allan_jm@tsb1.tsbvi.edu, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
I thought a tooltip spawned a little window too.

Charles

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Jon Gunderson wrote:

  Response in JRG:
  >4.4.12 [Priority 1]
  >              Allow the user to turn on and off support for spawned
  >windows.
  >
  >What is the difference between the accessibility barrier created by
  >a tool tip and one created by an opening browser window?

  JRG: A spawned window puts someone in another instance of the browser, this
  is an orientation and control problem.  A tooltip does not create another
  instance of the browser, but could obscure information or be confusing to a
  person with visual impairment.

  1207 S. Oak Street
  Champaign, IL 61820

  Voice: 217-244-5870