Re: SMIL and temporal links

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:02:34 -0500 (EST)
To: marja@w3.org (Marja-Riitta Koivunen)
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
to follow up on what Marja-Riitta Koivunen said:

> In SMIL we may have some temporal material, for instance a link that is
> only shown a short time in a video clip. Should that be made also
> statically available if needed?
>
> I think this is similar to being able to go through a list of links (or
> pictures) or other objects on a static page. Now we can, in addition, also
> go through all the links in time. Maybe even through all video or audio
> clips. After finding an interesting link, we could reset the clock and
> start the SMIL presentation from that point forward?

Yes, this is something the UA group should be thinking about.
The SMIL format provides adequate raw material via a declaration
of the hyperlinks much like a user-side image map in HTML.  There
is also provision for text identification for the sensitive zones
defined in time and screen space comparable to ALT on AREA.

How to integrate this into a catalog of destinations for users
who are not processing all the media in real time is open for
discussion.

Al