Re: Having h5 after h2 is a violation as per 1.3.1 info & relationships. - was: WCAG violations or accessibility enhancements

In HTML and CSS, you can separate semantic header level from class quite
easily, and it's fairly straightforward to do in a few theming frameworks
like Bootstrap.

For example, you could declare a style for a fourth-level header:

h4 {
  color: #666;
  font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif;
  font-size: 18px;
  font-weight: 100;
}

Then you could add a matching class to it:

h4, .h4 {
  color: #666;
  font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif;
  font-size: 18px;
  font-weight: 100;
}

Then you could declare a second-level header that borrows the type styles
from the fourth-level header:

<h2 class="h4">My smaller-looking header</h2>

It's a shame this capability doesn't exist by default for document styles
in Word or in authoring widgets like CKEditor.

---
Claudio

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 9:58 AM, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 02/03/2018 14:51, Glenda Sims wrote:
>
>> Crazy idea o' the week.  This problem of heading structure never happens
>> to us in ordered lists..because we let the browsers render the list
>> numbers.  Wouldn't it be super cool if we could have a similar construct in
>> html for headings.
>>
>> I've only had one cup o' coffee....so this may not be the best idea I
>> ever had...
>>
>> Example of dynamic heading structure
>> <oh>  Glenda's make believe ordered headings
>>     <hi>  Glenda's make believe heading item </hi>
>>     <oh>
>>          <hi> Another make believe heading item </hi>
>> <!--#include file="includewithheading.html" -->
>>          <hi>The last heading in this example</hi>
>> <!-- end of include -->
>>      </oh>
>> </oh>
>>

> We could call it an "outline algorithm" perhaps. And then wait for
> browsers to actually implement it in a meaningful way too?

> --
> Patrick H. Lauke

User Experience | Information Architecture | Accessibility
simple-theory.com
+1 954-417-4188