Re: WCAG violations or accessibility enhancements

Hi Alan,

Leonie Watson is also blind herself. https://twitter.com/g16n/status/882228749047091201 <https://twitter.com/g16n/status/882228749047091201>

Even the feedback that you provided shows: the most important part should have the h1.

Now ask ten people: what exactly is the most important part? The name of the site? The main article? Or is it better to start every main region of the page with h1 (like header, nav, main, footer)?

As a matter of fact I like to start with a h1 as a root (usually in the page header with role=”banner”) and then use h2 for every major region of the page (nav, main, footer).

Also Leonie Watson and the tester, who you asked, are maybe not the right persons to ask, if you want to find out, what most blind users think, because they are women with a special focus on accessibility.

Anyway: whenever possible no heading level should be skipped. I agree with this of course. This is best practice. But as a matter of fact, that is not the answer to all real-life problems. Sometimes it is surprisingly difficult to find the best solution. For example when developing a modular content management, where modules can be used in a text and you cannot know, if there is h2, h3 or h4 before it.

So I can give a h5 for this box or the author must choose the correct heading every time he uses this module – because nobody is perfect he may choose h3 after h4.

That is a real-life problem and I have no perfect answer to it.

Actually, this problem is an exception. Skipping levels in the headline structure should be very rare. In a perfect world it should not happen at all. Agreed!

Sorry, this got a bit off topic already, because WCAG is a rule set, that cannot and should not care about how to achieve accessibility or our problems while trying. The WCAG provide us a ruleset, for accessible pages. And when a site violates these rules it probably is not accessible anymore.

But as a matter of fact, if a page has a nice clean headline structure and there appears one h5 after h2, I personally have difficulties to believe that this page is not accessible anymore.

And given that the page is nearly perfect (not using headings without any sense all over), I think it is right, that the WCAG is not stricter in this point, than it already is.

To me the main point is, that there is a concept for heading structure, that every visitor of the page can understand. And this concept should be consistent on all pages of a site.

--
Marc Haunschild
www.mhis.de