Re: Are "notes" normative or informative in WCAG 2.0?

On 19/05/2018 16:18, Wilco Fiers wrote:
> I'm not sure I entirely understand. The SC notes are part of the "WCAG
> 2.0 Guidelines" section, which is normative. Why would the note not be
> normative?

They are normative. That's what I meant here:
"W3C TR documents have both normative and informative content, and the
type of content is clearly marked for each section. The notes included
under some SC (like the one under SC1.4.2) are not marked as
informative, and so should be considered normative."

WCAG2.0 is a TR document, so it can contain both normative and
informative content. In WCAG2.0 all content is normative unless it is
specifically marked as informative (like the Introduction for example).

So this note included under SC1.4.2 is considered normative, because it
is contained within WCAG2.0 itself and is not specifically marked as
informative content:
"Note: Since any content that does not meet this success criterion can
interfere with a user's ability to use the whole page, all content on
the Web page (whether or not it is used to meet other success criteria)
must meet this success criterion."

The links to "Understanding 1.4.2" and "How to meet 1.4.2" both point to
documents that are W3C Notes though. W3C Notes (capital N) are always
informative.

So there is a difference between a "Note" (capital N), which is a
specific type of document produced by the W3C, and a "note" (lowercase
n), which is a piece of prose included in either type of W3C document.

HTH
Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson @tink@toot.cafe Carpe diem