RE: tab vs. arrow keys with NVDA and Firefox

From: Sean Murphy (seanmmur) <seanmmur@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:14:59 +0000
To: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>, Jim Homme <jhomme@benderconsult.com>, "Schafer, Carmen" <schafercg@missouri.edu>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
This just demonstrates different behaviour between screen readers where there should be standards. The ARIa best practise standards 1.1 in the keyboard section discuss the use of tab and arrow keys within menus. Historically (before the Web) menus used the arrow keys to navigate between the menu items and tab was not used. Not sure of the history or reasoning behind why the ARIA best practise refers to tab. One possibility  is the thinking keyboard users within browsers are used to use the tab key and reduces confusion.

Sean Murphy
Tel: +61 2 8446 7751

Cisco Systems, Inc.
The Forum 201 Pacific Highway