Re: Mechanism Disclaimer

From: Gregg C Vanderheiden <greggvan@umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:36:31 -0500
Cc: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>, IG - WAI Interest Group List list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>

> On Jan 22, 2017, at 8:45 PM, Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com> wrote:
>
>> John Foliot:  I am becoming increasingly concerned that this phrase - ‘mechanism is available’ - is fast becoming the new "Until user agents...",
>
> I had already thought that's what 2.0 did instead, wasn't it? E.g. Bypass blocks, if user-agents supported landmarks for keyboard-users we wouldn't need skip links anymore, for many cases at least.

Mechanism is available is a very powerful and forward looking approach.   It says “if the mech isnt there in browsers - or you do something to break that one — then you need to provide the mechanism yourself (this also speaks to Alastair’s #4).     But it also allows that when browsers add things (like browsers that all added zoom or font sizing with wrap)  that authors no longer have to do that — as long as they don’t break it.