Re: Mechanism Disclaimer

I think this has been somewhat overtaken by the other thread about combining the user-adaptation SCs, but there are some interesting points:

JF wrote:
> ​But Alastair, if the current proposed SC suggests that the end user can change fonts down to the element level, and if nav class="mobile" is using a hamburger menu icon, then the end user should not - at the element level - be changing *that* font​.

They should be able to specify how text is displayed, and if a site (ab)uses font-family to provide icons, then it creates an issue. They can use images, SVG, the CSS content mechanism the default Wordpress theme uses.. there are many 'good' methods.

When over-riding, you can't predict what classes the author uses for an icon, you have to over-ride all font-family styles.

This is a relatively rare issue, I think the techniques for the font-family SC will more around spacing issues caused by changing fonts.

> I am becoming increasingly concerned that this phrase - ‘mechanism is available’ - is fast becoming the new "Until user agents...",

I had already thought that's what 2.0 did instead, wasn't it? E.g. Bypass blocks, if user-agents supported landmarks for keyboard-users we wouldn't need skip links anymore, for many cases at least.

Overall, I think we should focus on what the content enables (or not), which means moving the user-adaptation ones on a bit.

Another example is that it might also mean removing the exception from Resize content:

> "The content of the Web page can be increased to 400% without loss of content or functionality, without two dimensional scrolling, with following the exceptions:
> - If the spatial layout of some the content is essential to that contents use, that part of the content is exempt.
> - If the user-agent fits the layout to the viewport and does not provide a means of reflowing content, two dimensional scrolling is exempt.

The second exception (essentially for mobile) is irrelevant if the /content/ enables 400% zoom. However, I think we do need to set a benchmark in the understanding & testing documentation.

Cheers,

-Alastair