Seeking comments on draft EPUB Accessibility specification and techniques

From: George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:44:01 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Dear WAI Interest Group,
The second editor's draft of the EPUB accessibility specification and
techniques are now available. This new draft adds additional clarity to
publication conformance requirements and provides a full set of techniques
for review.
We are looking for input from all sectors. The specification and techniques
build on WAI guidelines. We believe these specification and the conformance
requirements have the potential to revolutionize access to published works
by persons with print disabilities. Included in the spec and detailed in the
techniques are items such as:
The Schema property "accessibilitySummary," which for the first time would
make a human readable explanation of the accessibility of an EPUB
publication discoverable and available.
Another Schema property, "accessModeSufficient," which would clearly
identify the modes of access available to read the whole publication, e.g.
textual and auditory.
We fully expect the publications to be approved in 2016. You can provide
comments directly to me: Kerscher@montana.com
You can find them at:
EPUB Accessibility Conformance and Discovery Requirements for EPUB
EPUB Accessibility Techniques
George Kerscher Ph.D.
-In our Information Age, access to information is a fundamental human right.
Chief Innovations Officer, DAISY Consortium
Senior Advisor, Global Literacy, Benetech
President, International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF)
Member of the National Museum and Library Services  Board (IMLS)
Chair Steering Council Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), a division of the
Phone: +1 406/549-4687
Cell:+1 406/544-2466
Email: kerscher@montana.com