RE: Seeking comments on draft EPUB Accessibility specification and techniques

From: George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 10:05:41 -0600
To: "'Rogers N.R.E.'" <N.E.Rogers@southampton.ac.uk>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "Avneesh Singh" <avneesh.sg@gmail.com>, "Charles LaPierre" <charlesl@benetech.org>, "Matt Garrish" <matt.garrish@gmail.com>
Dear Neil,
Thank you for the comment. I am also copying the EPUB Accessibility chairs
and the editor.
As you know, EPUB is based on HTML and the open web platform. DAISY is
participating in the Auto-WCAG group in the W3C, which identifies the
various tests that can be done on HTML documents to check accessibility.
DAISY has received funding from the Google Impact Challenge to do a number
of things, including building an open source EPUB accessibility checker. The
approach would be to build on HTML checking tools and add the pieces that
are specific to digitally published EPUB materials. The first step would be
reporting of issues, and we will encourage authoring tools to incorporate
the tool or create similar functionality in their systems.
The WAI Interest Group is one of the lists where we will post progress on
this software development.