RE: Disabled people and copyright infringement

Leonie,

I asked our library in case there had been an issue with a student, there answer probably told you a lot of stuff you already knew - but I was pleased how serious they took the enquiry.

They said - "Hi Gill
I'm not aware of any such cases and have done a very quick search via Westlaw and Lexis, (our law databases) but found no such reported cases.
Any cases involving disabled persons or accessibility are usually against organisations for failing to make things/places accessible.
A relevant case is Author's Guild v Hathtrust:  https://www.eff.org/cases/authors-guild-v-hathitrust. Although not against an individual person, the court opinion contains cited US cases that may be useful.

There are currently international movements to make copyright content more accessible to people with disabilities worldwide such as the WIPO Marrakesh Treaty which addresses the legal barriers to the international exchange of these works - it creates exemptions to copyright law that allow for the production and international exchange of accessible books without the permission of right holders and the Accessible Books Consortium (ABC), launched in June 2014, which tackles practical barriers to access.

Léonie could try contacting RNIB:  http://www.rnib.org.uk/ Disability Rights UK:  http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/
WIPO:  http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/marrakesh/summary_marrakesh.html
or the  World Blind Union:  http://www.worldblindunion.org/English/Pages/default.aspx

I can put the question to the Copyright Mail list but it would be helpful if I could offer a little background as to Léonie's research.

Al the best
Kate"

Cheers
Gill