Re: What's everyone's view on backwards-support, etc for ARIA

> Mitchell Evan wrote:
> This made me curious, so I tested with NVDA 2015.1 and Internet Explorer 11. I found that this combo supports role="navigation" but does not support <nav>.

> http://evanmedia.com/accessibility/testpage/nav.html <http://evanmedia.com/accessibility/testpage/nav.html>

Thank you for sharing the test results.
If copied yours (hope you don't mind) and added VoiceOver and NVDA with Firefox:
http://gijs.anysurfer.be/test/nav.html <http://gijs.anysurfer.be/test/nav.html>

> Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> And fundamentally, this goes back thematically to our previous discussion here about "do you build to standards, or do you cater for browser/AT bugs". Your answer to that question will determine your answer to this one...

In this particular case, I'd cater for browser/AT bugs.

> Mitchell Evan wrote:

> I've continued to recommend <nav role="navigation"> because I see a benefit for users, and no contradiction with web standards.

+1

Kind regards

Gijs

---
Gijs Veyfeyken
AnySurfer - towards an accessible internet
http://www.anysurfer.be/en <http://www.anysurfer.be/en>
Brussels - Belgium