Re: Auto-Tabbing - Is this ever allowed?

Hi Mary,

Do you have any more information about which fields they want to apply the
auto tab to?

Obviously auto tab cannot be used on First Name and Last Name fields
because there's no way for the page to know when you are done typing. But
for something like a three field SSN number there is an exact number of
characters to enter.

If they are proposing auto tab for some fields and not all, that's where it
can get confusing to users. They start wondering if each field is going to
auto tab or not and it can really slow someone down.

Plus, for the SSN example, while it could be nice to not have to type, tab,
type, tab, etc., I find that it is much easier for everyone to just use one
field that can hold all nine digits. If there is a desire to not display it
as a nine digit number, you can actually display it on the form as 3-2-4
digits even though it is one field.

Auto tabbing, to me, is just a way to solve a problem that has better
solutions. If you could give us more details, I'm sure I could help come up
with better solutions.

David