Re: Feedback

From: Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:00:02 +0100
Cc: Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com>, Mark Barratt <markb@textmatters.com>, Oscar Cao <oscar.cao@live.com>, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: Joe Chidzik <joe.chidzik@abilitynet.org.uk>

On 21 Nov 2014, at 16:41, Joe Chidzik <joe.chidzik@abilitynet.org.uk> wrote:

> >(it just slows down reading and increases error rate while reading).
> Whilst I’ve always thought that this is the case for large blocks of text, can you cite a source\research for this?

I learnt all this when I went to university in the eighties studying psychology. I'd have to dig out the sources (but won;t have the bandwidth to do this right away).

Just one bit everybody seems to overlook when arguing that these pieces of text - like entries in a navigation menu or button labels - are short, and thus the rules valid for longer pieces of text don't apply: a typical web user will read lots of text while consuming a web page, and navigation items or button labels etc. are just portions of a large amount of text that is taken in.   This is a situation completely different from looking at a comparably small number of labels on a washing machine, or maybe even in a fast jet's cockpit (and in the latter case: a 'user' in a fast jet's cockpit would typically not read all the labels to be found in the cockpit, but will typically have to identify a label that was expected to be present, or has to validate that a label belongs to an instrument that was expected.