Re: Feedback

Good point, Olaf. Your hypothesis (which I think is that, say, an all-caps nav panel in an otherwise conventionally-cased web page would be significantly slower to search/read that the same panel in upper & lower) would also apply to the only other research I know of into all-caps labels, which was conducted as part of the UK’s road signage redesign. That found very little significant difference. The road signs, as you’ll know if you have driven in the UK, ended up upper & lower case, mainly because they that was thought to be ‘modern’ and the UK in the 1950s was very keen to be modern.

So, given that neither research proving upper-lower is better, not research showing that all-upper is better, is relevant to the use-case, we had better settle for ‘don’t know’ until we do.

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters

We help explain things using design | language | systems | process improvement

markb@textmatters.com | +44 (0)118 986 8313
http://www.textmatters.com | Twitter @mark_barratt | Skype mark_barratt