Re: Q: Change on Request 3.2.5? Is warning required for links that open new windows?

Paul said: ". . . So reading that portion I don't see how it applies to
links because the user is actively "requesting" (clicking on the link) and
links do happen to open in new windows often for all users."

I believe the intent of 3.2.5 AAA is to inform the user whether clicking
the link will open a new window or whether it will simply load a new page
in the existing window.  In other words, how does the user predict what
will happen when the link is clicked - whether a new window is opened or
not.? new window = change of context.  We see these little icons next to
links all the time indicating which ones open new windows, or change web
sites, etc. helping the user predict how it will operate.    3.2.5 AAA has
to be read in context with the whole 3.2 guideline and the other four
success criteria in it.
Guideline 3.2 Predictable: Make Web pages appear and operate in
predictable ways.
I would NOT recommend reading or trying to interpret each success criteria
without considering the other success criteria in the guideline.

The other "context" needed for correctly interpreting the success criteria
(in my opinion) is to consider the role of the user agent, assistive
technology, and user settings.  Does the browser have a responsibility to
warn the user by having a setting to allow it to warn the user that a new
window (change of context) will happen?  If the user isn't using a browser
capable (e.g. older version , etc.), or if the user hasn't set the setting
due to lack of training, then the working group added some of these
tripple A success criteria to compensate for lack of conformance of user
agents with UAAG 2.0 and/or lack of training of users to use their
assistive technology and/or potential conflicts as mentioned.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
Senior Accessibility Engineer & Business Development Executive
IBM Research - Human Ability & Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able

http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility

http://twitter.com/IBMAccess

http://www.linkedin.com/in/philljenkins