Re: Dialog behaviour and screen readers

A slight correction about behavior for dialog roles, in JAWS 12 and 13, this would act as NVDA did, and restrict keyboard interaction to the active element only. However in 14 and 15, this is no longer the case, and maintains the Virtual Buffer as a standard web page.

In contrast, the role of application in JAWS 12 and 13 did nothing, but in 14 and 15, causes Applications Mode to become activated when focus is set within.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bryan Garaventa
  To: Ian Sharpe ; Phill Jenkins
  Cc: 'WAI Interest Group' ; Shadi Abou-Zahra
  Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 3:05 PM
  Subject: Re: Dialog behaviour and screen readers

  I believe we're still waiting for the results of the ARIA Hackathon from Saturday to be published.

  Regarding web app behavior on Windows, specific to the use of role=dialog, it causes screen readers like JAWS and NVDA to activate Applications Mode when focus is set within. When JAWS exits AM, all of the background page content remains in the Virtual Buffer and can be interacted with as before, however when NVDA re-activates Browse Mode, it now confines Virtual Buffer navigation within the boundaries of the dialog region as you use the arrow keys to navigate.

  On iOS, the dialog region is shown as content using VoiceOver, however the background content remains visible nevertheless.

  Within desktop apps only focus is set to the active element that can receive focus, and there is no Virtual
  Buffer in the same manner as the web. Instead JAWS Mode is used in JAWS to navigate via the mouse pointer if you wish granular access to static content within OS dialog panes. This can be seen on standard JavaScript Alert prompts on the web. (alert('Test content goes here');) When an OS modal is opened, the background content cannot be interacted with.

  None of these behavioral differences on the web are specifically documented in the spec, but are the interpretation of the UAIG and Roles Model documentation for the platform the AT is running within, so the interaction models are specific to the AT as interpreted within the spec.

  Currently the only way to hide background content for web modal layers across IE,FF, Chrome, and Safari is to use aria-hidden, which works in the latest versions of JAWS, NVDA, and VoiceOver.