RE: Semantic implications of tabindex="0"?

Carl wrote:

“As a consequence, JAWS will read "editable" for the following  <h1 tabindex="0">Some heading</h1>”

Just did some testing with JFW 15 & NVDA  2013 on Windows 7 using IE11, GC, FF: both JAWS and NVDA ‘activate’ a phantom forms mode (i.e., the corresponding sound is played), but only in IE.

Neither screen reader announces ‘editable’ when the element receives focus in any of the browsers.

Also, JAWS (not NVDA) only activates this phantom forms mode in IE11 when the tabindex=”0” is the first, not necessarily  focusable element on a page.

Cheers,

Adam