Re: Semantic implications of tabindex="0"?

Certainly, and I should've mentioned in my response that it is important to
add whatever role is appropriate when trying to create a custom widget. I
was responding mostly to Mike's question "are there assumptions that users
will have" -   the assumption they'll have is that the control will have
whatever keyboard functionality a control with that role would have.  i.e.
a textbox will accept arbitrary text input, a button will respond to
keypress, arrow keys will traverse radio button options, etc.