Re: Amazon and Sony Are Requesting That The Accessibility Requirement Be Waved for E-Book Readers

Having read both articles, I still feel there is cause for concern. I
would also like to point out that not only people with visual
impairments are affected by this situation. For example, as a person
with a physical impairment, I can attest that some hardware is difficult
if not at times impossible to use. I was recently offered a kindle as a
gift and find it very difficult to operate some of the controls and have
had to develop tedious physical workarounds. This is also often the case
with mobile phones. The thing is, with a physical impairment, you often
have to try it out in advance to know if you can use it and in my
experience, that is rarely possible. (Yes I know this list may be less
concerned with hardware obstacles but from personal experience, I think
it is a mistake to ignore that aspect when it comes to accessibility and
I believe WAI's recent work on applying WCAG to ICTs is indicative a
real need in that area).

So in general, I still think this waiver request is worth keeping on our
radar.

Best regards,

Catherine

--