RE: Rethinking the necessities of ARIA landmark role "main" and HTML5 <main> element

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, Steve Green wrote:

> If there are multiple sections of uninteresting content it is necessary
> to perform multiple 'skip' actions in order to get to the interesting
> content.

Not necessarily. That's up to the user agent / accessibility tool
implementors. I'm saying that the interface that user agents /
accessibility tools should offer is specifically one that skips sequences
of uninteresting content, so that you only have to instruct the software
to skip uninteresting content once to get to the interesting content.

Note that this kind of solution is necessary in any case when interesting
content _contains_ sequences of uninteresting content.

> This is a poor user experience compared with performing a single 'skip'
> action to get to the main content.

I agree, but this is orthogonal to how the content is marked up. You don't
need role="" or <main> to achieve this.