Re: Rethinking the necessities of ARIA landmark role "main" and HTML5 <main> element

hi Ian,

you wrote:

About the "skip to main content" link, I have heard suggestions said that
> it's also useful for some other users (laptop users, etc) who can only
> navigate by using keyboard. So maybe it should not be replaced even if AT
> are all working well with ARIA landmark roles

The W3C HTML specification of main [1] contains the following note:

Note: User agents that support keyboard navigation of content are strongly
> encouraged to provide a method to navigate to the main element and once
> navigated to, ensure the next element in the focus order is the first
> focusable element within the main element. This will provide a simple
> method for keyboard users to bypass blocks of content such as navigation
> links.

Myself and others are working with browser vendors to get this implemented.
Of course it is not advised to abandon skip links until this is broadly
implemented

[1]
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-main-element

with regards