Rethinking the necessities of ARIA landmark role "main" and HTML5 <main> element

From: Ian Yang <ian@invigoreight.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:57:10 +0800
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi editors and all other folks,

In a previous discussion with Ian Hixie, he mentioned that the existence of
the ARIA landmark role "main" is a mistake. In other words, the role "main"
should not have been introduced.

That's very thought-provoking. I used to be one of those who supported the
adoption of the HTML5 <main> element. Yet after reconsidering the above
theory these days, I seem to gradually realize that a mechanism for
differentiating main contents from other contents is not always necessary.

I may have missed a past discussion about this topic. Could someone point
me out a resource? Personally, I think this topic is very worth discussing.
However, it might lead to discards of the ARIA landmark role "main" and the
HTML5 <main> element.

Sincerely,
Ian Yang