Re: new touch and non touch screens

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:30:18 -0400
To: accessys@smart.net, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org wai" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
The iPhone includes the Voiceover screen reader which is also available on the iPad. It does incorporate appropriate gestures. This has been very successful, but I know some blind users prefer the smaller iPhone screen since there is less screen to get lost in.

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/

You're right though that not all touchscreen systems are accessible.

Elizabeth

On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:10 AM, accessys@smart.net wrote:

> I'm wondering especially for blind/visually impaired how the new touch and now the wave over the screen control systems can possibly be made w3c compliant????
>
> and with the popularity of i-pads and other i-things where there is nothing but visual clues to where to put ones fingers to control it, there appears to be a significant diminishment of access with the newer devices not an increase in universal access.
>
> ??? how are these devices being addressed if at all.  I can't remember them ever being discussed on this site.
>
> a very few will take limited audio commands but I haven't seen one that could be operated 100% with audio commands
>
> Bob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer