Re: new touch and non touch screens

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:30:18 -0400
To: accessys@smart.net, "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org wai" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
The iPhone includes the Voiceover screen reader which is also available on the iPad. It does incorporate appropriate gestures. This has been very successful, but I know some blind users prefer the smaller iPhone screen since there is less screen to get lost in.

You're right though that not all touchscreen systems are accessible.

On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:10 AM, accessys@smart.net wrote:

> I'm wondering especially for blind/visually impaired how the new touch and now the wave over the screen control systems can possibly be made w3c compliant????
> and with the popularity of i-pads and other i-things where there is nothing but visual clues to where to put ones fingers to control it, there appears to be a significant diminishment of access with the newer devices not an increase in universal access.
> ??? how are these devices being addressed if at all.  I can't remember them ever being discussed on this site.
> a very few will take limited audio commands but I haven't seen one that could be operated 100% with audio commands
> Bob

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Education Technology Services, TLT/ITS