Re: Is it a good practice to put <article>s inside <li>s?

Hi,

My understanding of the purpose of the list element is to collect together a
group or related items (such as phrases, prices, book titles etc.) that
makes sense within the group context (list) but would not necessarily do so
alone without additional explanatory text (i.e. include within a
sentence/article). When my screen-reader announces a list I expect to hear a
series of short punchy statements, or even just single words, each preceded
by the announcement of a list item (preferably numbered).  If I heard
"region" or (in the future) "article"  it would make me think I have missed
the end of the list. I have not experienced it first hand - but I can
imagine the confusion!

An article is a stand-alone object, a list item is always part of a
sequence.  An article has some sense even when read out of context (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/article.html ). Groups of articles can be
grouped together using the appropriate heading element.  There is therefore
no reason to group articles using the list element (more appropriate methods
exist). It is certainly not logical and I am sure it is not semantically
correct.

Richard