Re: Voiceover detection in JavaScript

The reason why the percentage value isn't being announced, is because they are not using aria-valuetext on any of the sliders, so that custom value text cannot be announced. Instead, the screen reader is simply announcing the aria-valuenow attribute value, which occurs in JAWS if you view the same slider as well.

I've also noticed they've wrapped the sliders in role="application", which may cause unexpected behaviors. Since a slider is configured as a form control, it doesn't need role="application", and this causes issues for screen readers like JAWS for example, if you arrow to the slider using JAWS 14 in IE, and press enter, the body will have focus instead of the slider. If you do not have role="application", this does not occur.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Gower
  To: Alastair Campbell
  Cc: Bryan Garaventa ; WAI Interest Group
  Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:51 AM
  Subject: Re: Voiceover detection in JavaScript

  Passthrough is useful on lots of apps including Contacts, where one uses it to jump by letter through the contact list using the right-hand side of the screen. So while I'd call it an advanced gesture, I certainly have many clients who use it. The issue I encountered when I tried this with the slider is that the values were incremented visually but I did not get the percentage spoken by VO. In other words, in Contacts, I hear "b", "c", etc as I move through what is essentially a slider control. But here, "20%" etc.,  was not read out.

  Michael Gower
  i b m  i n t e r a c t i v e

  1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
  gowerm@ca.ibm.com
  voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034