Re: Recursive Links in menu bars - continued

On 9/18/12, Jan Eric Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de> wrote:
> The point is, that
>
> * some people (as Andrew) ask, why should somebody want to reload the
> (static) page and start from the top, and
> * other people say, it is a question of usability/expectations to be able
> reload the page from a menu item pointing to the current page.

Am on Linux/Knoppix at this second using Firefox 14.0.1 (vs Opera,
Konqueror, Icecat, or Epiphany which I also use). As an alternative to
the on-page textual menu item, I just tried CTRL-r and it reloaded the
Gmail page announcing this thread.. Just checked them all and the
browsers I regularly switch between all also have the "Reload current
page" button option as standard default..

But times 2.................

1) Not everyone is going to be at the same tech-savvy point to have
knowledge of both the CTRL-r option and the browser embedded refresh
button.....

2) Even if people know about the CTRL-r button, maybe for some reason
it is "broken" in one or more browsers out there.. As example, I
started following the Vinux (Linux for people with visual impairments)
operating system listservs in the last year or so.. CTRL key shortcuts
they chat about over there are software specific and as such have not
once worked in my Knoppix which is also Linux based..

Make that times 3... There may be some reason related to Disability
that neither CTRL-r nor the browser reload button are accessible..
Merely disclaiming there although I do recognize assistive technology
such as laser pointers might then be in use in that case....

My Life-garnered point basically is that there are fallback
alternatives BUT it can't be sworn to that they'll be universally
available nor standard user knowledge..

Just thinking out loud again from North Georgia..

Cindy Sue

- :: -
Cindy-Sue Causey
http://BackyardPishing.blogspot.com