Re: Invisible elements for additional link text

From: <deborah.kaplan@suberic.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 00:13:42 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
To: Christian Biggins <cbiggins@gmail.com>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> I know that the WebAIM guys are ok with invisible text for adding additional information for descriptive technologies, I was
> wondering what everybody elses opinions were.

Invisible links are great when the information isn't useful to sighted folks, but this information *is*. Dragon NaturallySpeaking users can dictate the name of a link; making the unique component invisible breaks that functionality. (Not to mention able-bodied users who visually skim the page for bolded text.)

-Deborah
--
Deborah Kaplan
Accessibility Team co-lead