Re: Canvas and ARIA alternatives

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:55:27 +0100
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
Cc: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Jonathan Avila
<jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote:
> The proper way to provide an equivalent to canvas content is to use fallback
> content that is a descendant of the canvas element.  Lately I have seen
> authors applying ARIA markup including roles, aria-labels, title attributes,
> and alt attributes directly to canvas elements.

Do you have any examples of the use of @alt on <canvas>? It's the only
usage you mention that would be definitely incorrect.

> What are peoples thoughts on the canvas element and ARIA.

How "canvas" is backed by accessibility structures, including ARIA
annotated HTML, is a matter of active work at a spec level.

See for example:

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis