Re: Accessibility philosophy (from the WCAG2/JAWS thread)

From: Richards, Jan <jrichards@ocadu.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:21:29 +0000
To: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@shellworld.net>
CC: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
(Using the subject Chaals suggests)

Hi all,

Here's a relevant economic report that was put together a couple years ago at the University of Toronto:
http://martinprosperity.org/2010/06/14/releasing-constraints-projecting-the-economic-impacts-of-increased-accessibility-in-ontario/

The report was released as the Canadian province of Ontario began rolling out standards for its "Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)".

Re: Marketing of accessibility: I think the Ontario government does a reasonable job of keeping things upbeat yet informative (http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/accessibility/index.aspx). I'm sure other governments are also taking this approach as well, for example this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEM9Fn9aOG8) by the Australian Government.

Cheers,
Jan

(Mr) Jan Richards, M.Sc.
jrichards@ocadu.ca | 416-977-6000 ext. 3957 | fax: 416-977-9844