Re: [NVDA] #2390: NVDA doesn't handle role=dialog with supporting ARIA attributes according to spec

On May 29, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com> wrote:

> I'm forwarding this in case any of you want to chime in. This is regarding the bug at
> http://www.nvda-project.org/ticket/2390#comment:6
>
> According to NVDA, widget control types such as role=dialog require not just an aria-label or aria-labelledby attribute, but also an aria-describedby attribute. I'm not able to locate where this exists in the user agent spec however, at http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/roles

Perhaps you are thinking of alertdialog, not dialog?

>From #alertdialog http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/roles#alertdialog : "Authors SHOULD use aria-describedby on an alertdialog to point to the alert message element in the dialog. If they do not, assistive technologies will resort to their internal recovery mechanism to determine the contents of an alert message."

In plain English, this means that if the author doesn't explicitly define what the alert message is, the AT can and should do the best job it can to tell the user to what it *thinks* is the alert message.

There is no requirement for an aria-describedby relationship on dialog. There is an author "SHOULD" requirement for a label, but not a description.
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/roles#dialog

In both cases, the author "SHOULD" requirement would generate a warning, not an error, so AT should account for dialogs without labels or descriptions as well.