Fw: [NVDA] #2390: NVDA doesn't handle role=dialog with supporting ARIA attributes according to spec

From: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:19:45 -0700
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "WebAIM Discussion List" <webaim-forum@list.webaim.org>
I'm forwarding this in case any of you want to chime in. This is regarding
the bug at

According to NVDA, widget control types such as role=dialog require not just
an aria-label or aria-labelledby attribute, but also an aria-describedby
attribute. I'm not able to locate where this exists in the user agent spec
however, at

The problem is that this breaks the accessibility of complex widgets (see
below), and provides no recourse for preventing the announcement of
irrelevant text.

This also causes a break in Assistive Technology support by introducing
undocumented requirements that are specific only to one user agent, which
undermines the whole purpose of W3C standardization.