Re: title attributes on links

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 11:06:30 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 28/05/2012 10:51, Harry Loots wrote:
> Hi Steve
> The problem as a I see it if title is used instead of label, is that the
> functionality that comes with label, i.e., being able to click on it and
> place focus in the associated field element, is lost. Thus a Dragon user
> will have to execute multiple commands to achieve what they could have
> achieved with a single command. Similarly, users using magnification,
> can click on the label, when they've read it, and place the focus in the
> form field, without having to scroll horizontally.
> This capability is lost when the title attribute is used on the physical
> form element.
> Harry

But for situations in which the use of just title attribute is ok,
you'll be hard-pressed to find designers willing to add a visually
redundant label element into their design. Mandating it would simply
mean that designers start to further ignore accessibility requirements
altogether as they're unrealistic in their eyes.

Patrick H. Lauke