Re: title attributes on links

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:37:51 +0100
To: Harry Loots <harry.loots@ieee.org>
Cc: Ramón Corominas <listas@ramoncorominas.com>, Glen Wallis <glen.wallis@gmail.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi Harry,

Providing a control with an accessible name is a level A requirement:
using label or title provides a programmatically associated accessible name
for a control. The information is provided by the browsers through the
accessibility API Dragon can access this infromation, if it does not expose
it to the user its a bug in Dragon, not in WCAG 2.0.

The use of title is only recommended under specific circumstances when a
visible label would be redundant.

On 28 May 2012 09:13, Harry Loots <harry.loots@ieee.org> wrote:

> Ramón Corominas wrote:
>> Which makes me wonder why it is acceptable (and even promoted) to use the
>> title instead of a <label> for form controls. Don't we have techniques to
>> hide labels preserving their accessibility?
> Who and why would anyone want to promote a non-accessible technique?
> 'label' is an essential navigation mechanism for people using all kinds of
> AT, as I observed, once again, while testing software with a Dragon user.
> 'label' is even more important than 'alt'!!! While I can describe the
> contents of an image in the content, or even use the 'title' attribute,
> without losing functionality, whereas without the 'label' attribute I have
> reduced functionality and reduced mobility.
> Failure to use 'label', if it is not already so, should be a Level A
> infringement!
> Harry

with regards

Steve Faulkner