RE: Using Heading to Replace Skip Links

Hi Ramón and Vivienne,

	Some musings of an everyday screen reader user …

For users dependent on a screen reader, every new page involves discovery.
The almost innate relevance filtering available for visual users is a
time-consuming and strategic process for screen reader users which is why
navigational elements and meaningful structure is so important.

So-called skip to links are useful for screen reader users, especially when
there is only one or no headings on a page, when the header is content-rich,
or when  lumpy tables are used to layout headers and content, but navigating
by ‘navigation keys’ through sufficient and meaningful headings is more
efficient.

One of the most irritating issues using navigation links with a screen
reader can be the placement of destination anchors. While a mechanism for
bypassing blocks of text is very useful, an efficient mechanism is more
desirable, and, as a screen reader user, I’d prefer not to be fishing around
with cursor keys to find the beginning of a block of content because a CMS
or a developer has not placed an anchor immediately before relevant content.

so, I broadly concur with Vivienne’s sentiment that  “Frankly, I think it
should be a requirement as we're wanting to make things better for people to
get to the content, not more difficult.“

But I would add the following conditions:
1.	Skip links must be the first elements on a page that accept focus
2.	Skip links must be always visible
3.	Skip links must always include link text that clearly identifies
their purpose (I have seen on pages recently <li>Skip to: ><a
href=”#content”>Content</a></li>. Quite apart from the very common and
equally irritating overuse of list elements to position content, I don’t
believe the link purpose is clear.)
4.	Skip to links must destinate immediately prior to relevant content
5.	Avoid using the same name and id attribute values for destination
anchors as this can result in a similar target vagueness with some screen
readers in some situations

Hope this helps,
Adam