Re: H65: Using the title attribute to identify form controls when the label element cannot be used

On Fri, 11 May 2012 23:26:09 +0200, Ramón Corominas
<listas@ramoncorominas.com> wrote:

> Hi, Charles and all,
>
>>> the title attribute is not keyboard-accessible (IMO this would
>  >> be a failure of the SC 2.1.1 and SC 3.3.2).
>>  That's true. But should be filed as a bug, or fixed. I wrote an
>> extension for Opera that sort of fixes it -
>> http://my.opera.com/chaals/blog/keytitle-extension - this could be done
>> in more or less any browser.
>
> Yes and no. This can be done for focusable elements, but not for a
> generic-non-focusable element. Of course, it can be argued that all
> input elements are focusable,

Using opera by keyboard, *all* elements are focusable. (At the same time,
this was really a proof of concept, not a production-level golden solution)

> but there are other cases where titles are used to convey information
> that is not reached by sighted users (for example, titles used to expand
> abbreviations/acronyms).
>
>> Although then you need to ensure that people will install it, which is
>> a different question...
>
> And that is a big issue! Anyway, maybe in the future all browsers will
> support keyboard accessible titles.

Right. That will be nice...

cheers

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk