Re: Using Heading to Replace Skip Links

On Wed, 09 May 2012 10:24:23 +0200, Vivienne CONWAY <v.conway@ecu.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi Chaals, and group,
>
> So if  I was doing a WCAG 2.0 compliance check to AA, if there were
> headers and they were sufficient to enable the user to skip repeated
> navigational elements, would you say it passes 2.4.1.?

As I said, "strictu sensu" yes for tools that can make use of this.

> Now, what if there are some headings, but they don't really describe
> the content well (should fail 1.3.1. in that case also), would I be
> correct in failing 2.4.6.?

Sure. Even if the headers are sufficient to pass 2.4.1 they can fail 2.4.6
by not actually being good headers per se.

> The reason I ask all of this, is that some of the automated tools pick
> up the lack of  skip links as failures of 2.4.6. and others don't,
> especially if there are semantically structured headings (h1 etc).
>
> Frankly, I think it should be a requirement as we're wanting to make
> things better for people to get to the content, not more difficult.

It comes down to the "supported technology" thing. So if you're claiming
support because people can use Opera on Linux, but 99% of your users are
running Safari on Windows XP (or whatever - this is a stupid random
example) including all screen reader users, then you're not actually doing
a very good job.

If on the other hand your screen reader users typically have Firefox, NVDA
and good navigation extensions, magnifier users are running Opera, and you
are providing an extension that keyboard users are downloading if they
don't have it, then you're probably fine...

> However, that probably comes down to usability.

Well, more than just that but yeah...

cheers

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk