Re: Exclusion of Visual Readers with Low Vision form WCAG 2.0 and the 508 Revise

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:50:13 +0100
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi Jonathon,
as implemented in browsers aria-activedescendent provides the location
information via the accessibility APIs that is picked up by AT

I tried example:

tested it with inspect32, the location information for the individual radio
buttons was exposed.
tried it with zoom text and the focus ring worked correctly.

On 19 October 2011 14:15, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote:

> [Steve wrote] the WAI-ARIA 1.0 User Agent Implementation Guide [1] does
> just this, in particular refer to Supporting Keyboard Navigation [2]
> I donít think is enough.  Iím thinking of situations like toolbars where
> the whole toolbar has a tabIndex=0 and the ARIA spec recommends
> aria-activedescendant and keyboard handling to move among toolbar items.
> This is cited as an acceptable way rather than applying to tabIndex=0 to the
> currently focused item.  The way I read the current requirements is that the
> user agent would only need to provide focus indication and coordinates for
> the entire toolbar and not the actual active-descendant because it doesnít
> have a level of keyboard access that the user agent can detect except for
> the presence of the aria-activedescendant attribute!  This is what I mean by
> a disconnect between these new techniques and what users agents must do.
> In a similarly frustrating fashion the accessible JQuery UI work that Iíve
> seen places a checkbox off-screen to represent a toggle button.  Screen
> magnifiers are not able to track correctly as the coordinates are
> off-screen.  Yet there is a faux visual rectangle on the item but that
> doesnít help magnifiers.   The non-normative documents in WCAG 2 really need
> to call out the danger of such techniques and indicate them as known
> failures.
> I log a comment on UAAG to address aria-activedescendant.
> Jonathan
> [Jonathanís original statement for reference]
> User agents
> > need to render that that element as the active element with programmatic
> > focus and exposure of location coordinates of that element to assist
> > proper tracking for screen magnification software.  In my opinion this
> > needs to be mapped into MSAA for Windows and whatever other
> accessibility
> > APIs exist for the given platform.  Perhaps this is something that can
> > be addressed in UAAG 2.0.

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG