RE: Exclusion of Visual Readers with Low Vision form WCAG 2.0 and the 508 Revise

From: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:15:27 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
[Steve wrote] the WAI-ARIA 1.0 User Agent Implementation Guide [1] does just
this, in particular refer to Supporting Keyboard Navigation [2]

I donít think is enough.  Iím thinking of situations like toolbars where the
whole toolbar has a tabIndex=0 and the ARIA spec recommends
aria-activedescendant and keyboard handling to move among toolbar items.
This is cited as an acceptable way rather than applying to tabIndex=0 to the
currently focused item.  The way I read the current requirements is that the
user agent would only need to provide focus indication and coordinates for
the entire toolbar and not the actual active-descendant because it doesnít
have a level of keyboard access that the user agent can detect except for
the presence of the aria-activedescendant attribute!  This is what I mean by
a disconnect between these new techniques and what users agents must do.

In a similarly frustrating fashion the accessible JQuery UI work that Iíve
seen places a checkbox off-screen to represent a toggle button.  Screen
magnifiers are not able to track correctly as the coordinates are
off-screen.  Yet there is a faux visual rectangle on the item but that
doesnít help magnifiers.   The non-normative documents in WCAG 2 really need
to call out the danger of such techniques and indicate them as known
failures.

I log a comment on UAAG to address aria-activedescendant.

Jonathan

[Jonathanís original statement for reference]

User agents